- One pound hot Italian sausage.
- Four hoagie buns, or four ciabattas.
- Mozarella cheese.
- One green bell pepper, sliced.
- About 1 cup meat-free Red sauce.
- 20 slices pepperoni (you only need 4 per sandwich, but you want spares since you might drop one or two through the grill onto the coals).
- Shape the sausage into four long thin patties and start it grilling.
- Grill the peppers and pepperoni. Set aside once done.
- When the sausage is getting close to cooked, toast the buns lightly.
- Pull buns off, and slather them (both halves) with red sauce.
- Put cheese on top of the red sauce.
- Place buns on coolest part of grill, cheese side up.
- Add peppers and pepperoni.
- Cover grill long enough to melt cheese.
- Remove buns from grill, slap in sausage patties and eat.
If you use ciabatta instead of hoagie buns, shape the patties to fit the bread, and coat the bread lightly with olive oil before toasting it. Yum!