Quantities are for a 4lb (smallish) roast. Scale them up or down accordingly. You can also use this on cuts of meat you're going to cook on a grill. Don't add salt to the mix now. It'll dry out the meat. You can add a little to taste just before eating.Ingredients:
- One large or two small cloves garlic
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp dried rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Preheat oven as hot as you can.
- Put everything into a mortar.
- Bash with the pestle until the bits are small enough to stick to meat.
- If you're preparing venison, sprinkle the mix with a little olive oil to moisten things up, since venison will have fewer juices than beef.
- Spread mix on cutting board and roll thawed roast, coating it evenly.
- Place roast in roasting pan, preferably on a rack, fatty side up.
- Reduce temperature of oven to 350F.
- Bake roast according to directions for type of meat -- my rule of thumb is listed below.
- Let meat cool on roasting rack for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time (rare): 15 minutes + 15 minutes per pound.
Cooking time (medium): 20 minutes + 20 minutes per pound.
Cooking time (well-done): 25 minutes + 25 minutes per pound.