Serves: 2 or 3
- 1 cup wild rice
- 4-6 fresh shiitake mushroom caps (you can use dried, but you'll have to figure out how to rehydrate them properly)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped finely (about golf-ball size)
- 2 beef boullion cube
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper to season
- Wash uncooked wild rice thoroughly in hot water.
- Add to 3 cups boiling beef broth (I was lazy and made it with boullion cubes)
- Return to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 50-60 minutes until kernals puff open.
- Brush mushrooms clean with a pastry brush. Don't wash them if you can avoid it, as they'll soak up the water and get mushier.
- Slice mushrooms into thin slices.
- Sauté mushrooms, garlic and onions in small amount of olive oil.
- Fluff with fork and mix in mushrooms, garlic and onions.
- If you're going to reheat this on the grill, just place it into a foil bag, and refrigerate until you're ready to warm it on the grill.
Preparation/cooking time: 50 minutes
Reheating on the grill: 15-20 minutes