Well, the weather folks are freaking out again. Seems we’re to get four to six inches of snow later today. I guess I’m a mite dubious after some previous false-alerts, but don’t think it’s really going to change the way I approach the day. I’m gonna head in to work, and if it gets really nasty, I might leave early, but then again, I might not. If I have to shovel tomorrow morning before work, so be it. But it’s pretty hard to get worked up about snow in April.
But the cold weather, that’s got me down a bit. I’ve been struggling along with even less energy than usual due to the cold, and am really looking forward to a couple days when it will be warm enough to open my basement windows so I can paint down there. I find myself wondering if I’m going to get it done before May.
- Lonely Planet is sponsoring a Night Challenge, taking images of various peoples and cultures at night. Sounds interesting!
- There’s a pitcher at Creighton University who’s Throwing Batters Curves Before Throwing a Pitch because he pitches with either hand. Funky! And he’s getting looked at by the scouts from the bigs. [kottke]
- Cool. Armed America has Portraits of Americans and their Guns. [nack]
- If you can find the time, the Washington Post article Pearls Before Breakfast is worth reading. It takes a look at
art without the frame. Meanwhile, Sawlady asks Is Joshua Bell a good busker? And answers with a resounding
no!But I agree with the commenters there who pointed out that that wasn’t the point. The point I got from it was that this great violinist couldn’t catch people’s attention with excellent music, because people didn’t know he was great without the context of a stage and expensive tickets. What I really wonder is how many of the folks who walked past him would buy a ticket to one of his shows. Another part of the equation is The Death of Peripheral Vision from the iPod wearing, cellphone gabbling masses. How many people just didn’t notice him at all? [top and kottke]
- Dave Winer has some to say about O’Reilly’s code of conduct, which came out of the Kathy Sierra incident a while back. All well and good, but I far prefer Joey’s response. But what I really want is the shot from UHF, where in Raul’s Wild Kingdom, they get a shipment of badgers and Raul responds
Badgers? Badgers?!? We don’t need no stinking BADGERS!!![scripting]