June 2004

30. June, 2004 - more conference

Another day at the conference, but today you get some linkage. Woo!

29. June, 2004 - network troubles at WWDC

So I’m out at Apple’s WWDC this week, and as is typical on Monday at the conference, the network wasn’t happy. What’s not typical is that it was so unhappy, I only managed to connect to the ’net twice all day. I’m hoping I can get online a bit more today, but updates may be sporadic this week.

There were no real surprises in yesterday’s keynote. I’m sure plenty of other people covered it, but there’s OS evolution to come, and the spiffy new hardware that SJ announced was all stuff that had been leaked before. I do have a case of hardware lust for the new 30″ Cinema Display, but I’m probably going to have to wait a while before I can satisfay that.

On the personal front, it’s been interesting watching people’s reactions to “the new Dave”. Everyone’s been confused by the lack of hair and beard, but most people have been complimentary.

The conference lunch yesterday was another gripe to add to the network problems. Apparently SJ has decided we’re all going to be vegetarians this week. Not only that, the choices were mostly pasta. Definitely not an Atkins-friendly conference. I didn’t mind the pasta, but I would have liked to have some high-quality protein with it.

Well, that’s the update for today. If I can manage to get onto the net a bit today, I may have some links tomorrow, but at this point I don’t know. It’s out of my hands.

28. June, 2004 - busy

Update today will be late(r). Sorry.

25. June, 2004 - Friday Fun?

I used to make more of an effort to make Friday postings around here more “fun,” linking to less political stuff, and more things that would have a wider appeal. Since I’m planning on taking weekends off for a while, I figure it’s a good time to try to make Fridays lighter in tone again. Let’s see how it works.

24. June, 2004 - Who the heck is Odin Soli?

I have been informed that my take on the recent below-average temperatures is completely unreasonable, and that I should trust the National Weather Service, rather than thinking there might be a different temperature in my yard, which is over nine miles away from the weather station. Mea culpa.

It was chilly at the Saints game last night, but the fact that Chas Terni hit two dingers for all three runs the Saints scored, and the fact that it was enough to win the game was pretty spiffy. Plus with an announced 7158 people in a ballpark with an official capacity of 6329, the stands were nearly full.

Last night, I actually slept with the window in my bedroom closed. Not because of the temperature though. Some gal down the block was singing loudly (punctuated by things like demands for another beer and refusals to shut the hell up) as I was trying to go to sleep.

23. June, 2004 - schedule change?

I’ve been thinking lately about changing the schedule I use for writing up Dave’s Picks. I’ve been posting seven days a week for quite a while (it was late in March when I last took a weekend off, and that was to go to Toronto), and there are mornings when I just don’t feel like it. So far, I’ve just been skipping a day when it really bugs me (though still posting something or other), but I’m thinking that I might take weekends off entirely through the summer. Maybe that’ll be the kind of break I need to get me writing the longer pieces I like to write.

I’m not positive that weekends are the right time to skip, but I get fewer hits on the weekends, as many of my regular readers know they can catch up on Monday. Then again I get more irregular readers over the weekend. And I know from experience that it’s nice to find updated things on a lazy Sunday afternoon. In any case, I think I’m going to try taking the next few weekends off from doing a fixed daily-update. I might post something longer on those days, or I might shut off the computer on Friday evening and not power it up again until Monday. I guess I’ll figure that out in a few days. But I wanted to mention it ahead of time so folks don’t think I’ve gone missing, so consider this your official “don’t panic” warning if you see me not posting over the weekend.

In other news, I drove the truck out to St. Boni yesterday to pick up the tabs from the dealer. While I was out there, I got Tim to wire up an accesory power connector (a lighter socket) in the back end. Now I can use the powered cooler/warmer if I want. I also got the little lego pieces that you need to put the garage-door-opener into the cool panel in the ceiling that holds it. A little more work organizing the tailgating supplies in the back end of the truck, and I think I’ll feel completely settled into it.

I haven’t decided what I’m going to do with the Camaro yet. I’m torn between spending the money to get it fixed up again and just selling it off and keeping my eyes open for another cool car. I need to get it insured before the 6th of July if I’m not going to sell it off for junk, though.

22. June, 2004 - SpaceShipOne, Government Zero

It was very cool watching SpaceShipOne yesterday, in spite of the Worst Coverage Ever from CNN. I’ve got more commentary below, but I had a happy feeling knowing that civilians are now in the Space Race. SpaceShipOne, Government Zero.

Further down the runway, an estimated 100,000 spectators waited to see space history in the making. SpaceShipOne, Government Zero, read one placard held aloft by a spectator, an allusion to the conviction held by some who yearn for space that government programs are slow, bureaucracy-laden and elitist.

21. June, 2004 - summer

Update 10:14am CDT: SpaceShipOne is on the ground safely. That’s it from me for the day. More tomorrow.

Update 10:06am CDT: They’ve just reported on CNN that Mike Melvill made it to 100km, and will be landing soon. CNN blew the coverage of lighting the torch on SpaceShipOne, and the rocket may have cut out early, but it appears as though they’ll actually cover the landing.

Update 8:49am CDT, White Knight and SpaceshipOne are in the air (their website can’t handle the traffic, but you might be able to get the mostly-text FAQ). Next interesting bit should be about 9:45 or so, when SpaceShipOne separates and fires its engines.

High temps in the 60s in the early part of the week, and a possible low tonight in the mid-40s. Yep. It’s summer all right.

Today’s posts are something of a mix. I’ve got some things on local events during the next week or two, some political stuff, and then what’s hopefully the last Layne followup. Be warned that there will probably me more political stuff coming as the week progresses, too. I’ve got a couple bees that were put in my bonnet over the weekend, and will almost certainly feel the need to write about ’em. You’ve been warned.

20. June, 2004 - Happy Father’s Day

I almost missed the fact that it was father’s day today. Not a ton of news stories about it, and since my dad’s been dead for longer than some folks I know have been alive, it doesn’t seem like much of a holiday to me anymore. But for those of you who are dads, have a good day.

19. June, 2004 - grumpy

Last night I tried to head out with some friends for drinks and fun. The evening was going okay, but the live music at Keegan’s eventually chased us out. What fun is it trying to talk to friends when you can’t hear anything?

We headed to Tuggs where the live music had just wrapped up, but the waitresses were busy clearing away tables, and didn’t want to leave any tables for a party of seven who’d just spent $200 plus tip and were looking to do the same at another bar.

We eventually settled on Pracna. Expensive drinks, but it was at least quiet enough to talk. Unfortunately, my mood had already gone south, so I didn’t do much talking. Maybe I’m just being a cranky old man, but I think we need to find someplace that doesn’t suck for these kinds of outings, and the places we tried last night did.

18. June, 2004 - day off

Nothing to see here today. Sorry.

17. June, 2004 - I got pictures!

Another day… Yesterday I got the important items on my to-do list done. Crisis averted. Life continues. But now the non-crisis items start to nag at me. I’ve got an awful lot of them, but I’ve been concentrating on the important stuff like shipping completed projects for clients. Many are finished, and I’m in a sort of post-partum “leave me alone” mood now. I just want to take a few days off. Instead, I’ve been taking partial days, but that doesn’t leave me with time for any real relaxation or time to tackle any of the projects around the house.

Yeah, it’s just me griping about things that really aren’t that bad. But this feeling has sucked the energy out of me, and I need to figure out some way to get through the next couple weeks before I some business travel will either recharge my batteries or drain them completely.

16. June, 2004 - sleepy

Up late, grey weather, garbage truck at 5:30 in the morning. Ugh. It feels like a definite low-energy day. Heck, I even napped on the couch for about 45 minutes already this morning, just to summon the energy to type these words at you.

But there’s a long list of things to be done today. I’ve got a fair amount of work for a client, plus it’s the middle of the month, so I need to take care of finances: invoices must be sent, bills paid, and stamps bought to make the whole mess get through the mails. I suppose I’d best get started on it soon, or I’m going to have a big list remaining tomorrow morning.

15. June, 2004 - life intrudes

The pictures from Saturday are one step closer to being posted, but still aren’t ready. Instead of posting them to the website last night, I spent the afternoon and evening hanging out with Mark. He’s moved from California, but the truck with all his stuff was still somewhere in Iowa yesterday. And then when I got home last night, I hooked up a new service on my server, so now finger:davep@davespicks.com will return a random quote from my quotes file (if you’ve got a handler for finger, that is). I’m hoping to get to the pictures tonight, but it’s more likely I’ll be putting them together tomorrow night. Sorry. Life got busy around here, even without Saints games.

14. June, 2004 - Layne gone missing?

I don’t have the promised pictures from Saturday. Life intrudes. Well, mostly Sunday intruded. And today I’ve got a boatload of work I have to get done and have already wasted a couple of the most productive hours of the morning trying to find links and coming up fairly dry. Sorry about that. It’ll be better tomorrow, right?

13. June, 2004 - slow news day

I don’t have much in the way of news today. It seems to be something of a slow-news weekend, plus I was out at the ballpark again last night, rather than surfing for some more links. But it’s supposed to be an awfully nice day out today, so maybe you should get outside and enjoy the weather. I’m going to try to.

Last night was our PETA gathering at the ballpark. Pictures will follow, probably tomorrow, once I’ve had a chance to sort them out. It was a pretty good time, and I got appropriately inappropriate comments (Oh my God! That’s a huge wiener you’ve got, Dave!) when I threw my 12 inch long chunk of krakowska onto the grill. It’s hard to tell from the photo, but the stuff is about as big around as my wrist. Everyone enjoyed the grub, and even though I didn’t eat more than two or three bites of any one thing, I was stuffed. Good times.

12. June, 2004 - Ow! My head!

Last night was pretty fun. We started with the tailgating at the Saints game. Got interrupted by rain for a while, which just meant more time for drinkin’ beer. Then it was the ballgame. Post-game I tried to catch Kevin Sullivan (who catches for the Saltdogs) thinking that it was the same Sully who’d played for the Saints in 2002. It ain’t. Which would explain why I didn’t see him post-game.

After getting home from the game (after midnight), my neighbors invited me over for a beer. Seems it’s the 100th day after their grandpa died (well, the father to the guy living next door, but his kids invited me over), and that’s cause for a big to-do in Lao culture. Being who I am, I couldn’t refuse a beer. Or three. Or the plate of spicy bbqed beef. I finally stumbled home about oh-dark-thirty.

This morning, for some reason, I don’t feel quite on top of my game. But that’s okay. I didn’t plan much for today, and I’m pretty sure there’s a nap in my future. Maybe even two.

11. June, 2004 - I think I’m five

So I made it to the doctor yesterday. He poked and prodded me less than expected before deciding I’ve got strep, or some other bacterial throat problem, and prescribed me some pills from his sample cabinet. More on that in a bit, but the pills are of a size that would have given Linda Lovelace pause, and I’m supposed to choke down two of them twice a day (with food). Christ on a crutch, if I could swallow pills that big, I wouldn’t be coming in for a sore throat!

The other thing that kinda bothers me about visiting the doctor is that they all have the forms you fill out before you see anyone in a white lab coat. On one of these forms, I get to proudly proclaim that rather than having some large corporation pay for my visit, I’m going to be a cash customer. But doing so invariably means a difference in the treatment. Rather than run a test to make sure I had strep, the doctor saved me a few bucks and eschewed the test. And then rather than writing a prescription, he dug in the sample cabinet for these veritable gob-stoppers of the antibiotic world. Perhaps it is the best medicine for the job, but I wonder…

And what the hell is it with the childhood ailments? In the past month I’ve had an ear infection and strep throat. I got tested for mono, but somehow dodged that bullet. What’s next? Chicken pox (I’m pretty sure I’ve had those)? Time to get my tonsils out? Hell, maybe I’ll erupt in a full-blown case of zits and have my voice go all squeaky when I try to talk to a cute gal. Who knows, maybe that would improve my dating prospects.

Oh well, at least it gives me something to gripe about beyond the 30 I got on the clean sweep assessment that Joey got a 70 on. Then again, I didn’t check the boxes for things that will never be true for you, and doing so takes me all the way up into the nineties. Things may not be perfect, but I yam what I yam, and I’m (depending on how charitable you want to be) either well-adapted to my situation, or hopelessly stuck in a rut.

10. June, 2004 - what was that?

How very odd. I woke up this morning, and my throat feels fine again. This without ever even getting to a doctor yesterday, as Now Care never got back to me with a referral to an ENT. I got numbers for three different clinics from a physicial referral hotline last night, and while I wait for them to open this morning, I find myself wondering whether I should schedule an appointment or not. Well, I’m here because I had a sore throat. But it’s gone now. But it came back before and I’m worried it will again. No, really. Argh.

Then again, maybe actually getting a reasonable amount of sleep yesterday had something to do with feeling better. After getting the bare minimum amount of work done that I needed to, I ate a late lunch and crashed on the couch for a nap. I slept for almost four hours, which is much longer than the half-hour to forty-five minutes I usually nap. Then, after mowing the front yard portion of the lawn, moving all the tailgating supplies from the Camaro to the Blazer, and having a couple nuclear burritos for dinner, I got a good solid six hours of sleep last night. I dunno. Maybe that’s what my body needed. Well, maybe not the burritos.

Looking at today’s weather forecast (I really like the experimental graphical forecasts from NOAA, by the way), it looks like a good day to get some more paying work done indoors, maybe a trip to a specialist to confirm that I’m insane (or maybe that there actually is something I’m sick with), and if the weather is nicer than predicted, maybe I can pull some of the clover, violets, and elm seedlings out of the garden so the garlic and onions can grow undisturbed. There’s been plenty of rain, so I haven’t had to water things, but that also means that the weeds have been growing quite vigorously, too. Oh well, the weeds give the bunnies something to eat other than the tomato and pepper plants.

And if I’m super-motivated, I’ll probably even put the new plates on the Camaro (they arrived just after I mashed it up, as did the bill for the next-to-last round of repairs I did on it in mid-May. D’Ohh!). It’s now sitting outside, and I suppose I should have current plates and tabs on it. I need to decide what to do with it, too. Anyone know what ever happened to Dennis/Gizmo? Or someone else who knows how to do quality body-work on a car but will do it on a as I can afford the parts and labor basis? I think my ideal would be to drop the car off with someone, pay a few hundred a month towards parts and labor, and eventually get a happy car back in return. I know I can’t afford to get everything fixed at once, but I also don’t want to put it off forever, since that will lead to me deciding to just sell the car for whatever I can get for it. Anyway, if you know someone who might be willing to help make it back into a bitchin’ Camaro, send in the info. Or if you’re someone who wants to buy it so you can fix it up nice and pretty…

9. June, 2004 - bleagh

I thought I was healthy again. I really did. Then about 3 this morning I woke up feeling as though someone had jammed an icepick into my ear, and was making me swallow a brillo pad. Phone call to doctor placed. Waiting for referral to ENT. Ugh.

8. June, 2004 - hot hot hot

Yesterday the Twin Cities set temperature record of 95. Oof. My thermometer here said that it peaked at 98, with the inside temperature getting up to 85 when the outside temp had also dropped to 85 and I opened the windows for the night and then laid in bed trying to sleep. It only got down to 80 inside overnight (72 outside), but hopefully tomorrow it’ll cool off enough that I can set up the air conditioner (and get some sleep tonight). Today I’ll either be enjoying the post-storm cool (if we get any) or finding someone else’s cool air.

It was funny watching the local news last night, too. All the newscasters were making a big deal about getting our first taste of summer. Apparently they can’t remember April, when we hit 90 degrees. That’s a taste of summer in my book.

As for the air-conditioning saga, I think I’ve figured out where it’s going, and it’s going to be plugged into an ungrounded outlet. I’ll stick a cheater on it, and to heck with safety. Now I just need to get up the energy to haul the machine in from the garage. Well, I also need to either buy a second air conditioner for the bedroom upstairs or buy a cot for the basement, too. A guy needs a place to sleep without having to hang the sheets up to dry in the morning.

I also noticed yesterday that most of the gals in the area were wearing far less than usual. Sadly, my street doesn’t get much foot-traffic, so I didn’t get to laze about appreciating the parade like I used to at my old house. Then again, I also don’t get the night-time parade of drunks pissing outside my window, so I guess I can live with the trade-off.

7. June, 2004 - A/C time

After a weekend that turned out to be mostly slacking, I find myself with a large to-do list again this morning. About half the list is stuff I should have gotten done over the weekend, but didn’t. Topping that part of the list is setting up the air conditioner. It’s supposed to get up to 88F today (31C), and that’s the kind of weather that really wants conditioned air. The problem is that the windows nearest my office area are not near grounded outlets, which I need to plug in the A/C. I’m not sure whether I’m going to rewire an outlet or put the A/C somewhere else and try to push the cool air around with a fan, but I need to decide pretty soon.

I also realize that there are a couple light fixtures that could use ceiling fans. I thought about this back when I was thinking of interior projects to work on, but installing ceiling fans once the weather has already gotten hot is miserable work. Oh, and I haven’t bought a step-ladder yet, either. At least I have a truck to haul such things in now. Maybe that’ll be an evening project.

I think this hot weather is just what I need. I had decided that I was done with interior projects for the summer, and was going to concentrate on outside work around the house, but I was conveniently leaving a few projects off the list, and now I’ve got some impetus to get them done (hopefully before the day heats up too much). I’ve a feeling this is a lot better than leaving them until it gets even hotter.

6. June 2004 - RWR RIP

Yesterday was an odd day for me. I woke up, did Dave’s Picks for the day, and then went back to bed. I ended up sleeping until 2pm. A trip to Target, then back home, and I was ready to call it a day, when Dr. Bob, my roommate from the 717 years called. He was free for the evening, and came over to see the new place and go out for a few beers. After feeling pretty cruddy in the morning, yesterday turned out to be pretty good after all.

5. June, 2004 - truck!
head shot
head shot

I wrote yesterday about picking a car, and Dan Lyke pointed out that The thing to remember about driving a Subaru: Lesbians get the chicks. That’s a good point, Dan, but I wonder what kind of chicks it would get me.

In any case, I ended up going with the Blazer. More ground clearance for getting through snow on the way to mom’s in the winter, more hauling capacity for projects around the house and tailgating, and as I think about it, my desire for a wagon was based on wanting one car to do everything. If I keep the Camaro and fix it up as time and money permit, I don’t need a compromise. As Jim said, You had conflicting needs and went with the most practical thing for what you needed.

side view
side view

It’s not a perfect vehicle. I suspect the gas mileage isn’t as good as I’d like (the factory numbers for the 2004 are 15/19, and mine’s a 2001, so it might be even worse), though I’ll find out for sure later in the weekend when I drive up to mom’s. The center of gravity is higher than I like, and it’s going to take me a while to quit trying to throttle through corners (on the Camaro, if done correctly, powering through the corner makes the car dig-in and corner better, on the Blazer, it makes it feel like it’s going to roll over). But I’m relatively sure I won’t end up actively hating it, and that’s good enough for me.

Oh, and it sure is purty. The biggest remaining worry I have is that now that I have a truck, I’m going to be spending weekends helping people haul stuff instead of napping on the couch. Oh well, as long as they have the traditional payment for such work on hand, I guess that’s okay.

4. June, 2004 - quest for wheels

Yesterday I looked at a few more cars. I think it was a lot more productive than Wednesday was, but I still haven’t decided for sure what I’m going to get. See, I’m torn. I don’t really want a car. I’d be happy to spend the summer getting around on my trike. But I’ve got to go up and visit my mom once in a while, and that’s far enough that it needs a car, so I’ve gotta get something.

I’m not getting the El Camino I looked at. I discovered that I’m too tall to be comfortable behind the wheel in there. I fit, but just barely, and I wouldn’t be comfortable on long drives. So scratch that one.

Meanwhile, I keep getting helpful suggestions from friends. I appreciate them, but I’m starting to feel like I’m drowning in information. At this point, I just want to give someone a fistful of money and have a car I won’t hate that can carry tailgating supplies and haul my trike to the shop or someplace I want to ride. I can’t realistically get a new car at the moment, so I’m looking used. Well, I could probably wrangle the money together for a Chevy Malibu Maxx or Saturn L300 Wagon because of GM’s current customer loyalty program that would give me $3,000 off, but I don’t really want a front-wheel drive vehicle.

That leaves a Subaru Forester or a Chevy Blazer 2 door (4WD) that I’ve looked at (both used, both 2001 models, if I remember right). I’m informed that driving a Subaru will mean I’m a lesbian. The Blazer is taller than I want, but would probably be more useful, and that’s the direction I’m leaning right now. It’s definitely got room for me and my crap, and will fit into my garage.

I need to decide soon. I’d like to be able to get up to see mom this weekend, which means pulling the trigger on a car today, or tomorrow at the latest. And then I can start figuring out what to do with my busted Camaro. Do I just junk it and be done? Or do I try and find someone who’ll work with me to slowly rebuild the body so I’ll have it as a fun car when I don’t want to be driving a truck? There’s a certain amount of sense to that plan, especially if I get the Blazer (less if I get the Forester), but it also means more money and time invested. I just don’t know. At least I don’t have to make that decision today.

3. June, 2004 - more car stuff

Well, the sore throat has the doctor stumped. She thought for a while it might be Infectious Mononucleosis (which made me wonder who I’d smooched in the past month, and I came up with the slightly depressing answer of not one person), but the test came back negative. The best guess at this point is that I’ve got a low-level allergic reaction to the grass mold that’s been going nuts with all the rain, and that’s had my sinuses draining down my throat. Dunno. I’ve got some Nasonex [warning, noisy] which may help with that, and we’ll see. If it doesn’t go away in another week or so, it’s off to a specialist. Fun. Or not.

As for the car, I’ve decided I want something that I can haul a little bit of stuff in (mostly my trike, but also odds and ends for around the house) without being a truck or a minivan, and while still being at least a little fun to drive (yes, I know I’m looking for a fun station-wagon – anyone know where I can find a 1973 Chevy Chevelle SS Wagon or a Rambler Cross Country, or others from this gallery?), and fitting into my garage (which means no more than 17 feet long). So yesterday I went out and looked at a Dodge Magnum and a Chevy Malibu Maxx. Then I looked at a 1987 Chevy El Camino. Frankly, the last is the most appealing, even if there’s some stigma attached to the car (though to be honest, little more than driving a Camaro). As for the Magnum, it’s hard to say. Something about the actual thing left me cold (and not just the thirty-grand pricetag for the RT — that actually seemed reasonable when compared to the prices for other cars). The Malibu Maxx is nice enough, with a body by Saab, but it’s front-wheel drive, which I still don’t like. It would feel like settling, I think, and I just can’t see dropping twenty-thousand on one. There’s also a 1957 Ford Sedan Delivery I see on CarSoup that makes me pretty wiggly, but I’m pretty sure it’s too big for my garage, being over two feet longer than my Camaro is.

I’m going to call a high-school classmate whose family has an auto delaership today and see if there’s anything he’s got, too, plus stop back and take the ’87 El Camino for a spin and decide if I think it’s worth $6,000 (Edmunds says $4,800 if it’s in nearly mint condition). I think I might go look at some of the Subaru wagons, too.

Oh, and I managed to mow the lawn yesterday, too. Now there’s a bunch of clumps of grass scattered around that I should probably rake up, but at least I’m no longer living in a jungle.

2. June, 2004 - ugh? guh.

Today is time to Deal With Things. I’d been planning to spend the day working, but yesterday’s car accident and my ongoing sore throat have changed the plans. The new plan is to try and work through the morning, and then head out to do some car-shopping, then to the doctor, then perhaps some more car-shopping. Why the car-shopping before the doctor? Well, strangely enough, I have an appointment to look at a car, but none to see a doctor. Yeah. I don’t quite know what to make of it, either. Anyway, if I’m lucky, I’ll find something I like and can afford quickly, and can maybe even get home and attempt to mow the lawn before the rain starts again on Friday.

onion blooms in the backyard
blooms in the backyard

So while life is being less than fun (I especially don’t like the “shopping for another car” part), I’ll try and provide some lighter links. It may not be what you were hoping for today, but it’s what I’m in the mood for. I’ve also got a picture of the flowering volunteer onion plants that are on one end of my garden. They’re growing as thick as grass, and I probably should do something with them, but I’ve decided that not only do I like their wild spirit of just taking over part of the garden, but I’m too lazy to figure out what to do with them anyhow. Thing is, this isn’t the first year for these volunteers, since it takes onions two years to flower and go to seed. In any case, they’re a pretty addition to the backyard right now, so they get to keep growing in the space they’ve appropriated.

1. June, 2004 - resetting

Update 2pm: Crud. It’s a virtual Monday alright. On the way home from a client’s office, I rear-ended a minivan that suddenly jammed on its brakes in an intersection. Everyone’s okay, and the minivan is fine. My car has the nose pushed in two or three inches and has some indeterminate other problems (though it is still drivable). I guess I don’t need to worry about whether to fix the rust on the car or get a new one anymore. This one’s pretty much toast.

Here it is, Tuesday. The Saints are out of town for over a week, and it’s time to focus on other stuff for a while and catch up on things around the house. The ear infection I kicked before the home-stand started is still gone, but the sore throat that accompanied it is still around. Not worse, but not better, either. I think I’m going to have to head over to the doctor sometime soon and see if they have a magic elixir to make it better. I’m mostly fine except when I’m trying to swallow, and then it hurts. Ugh.

As for the Saints, they split another four-game-series, splitting yesterday’s games. The first game was won with an eighth-inning hit (both games were scheduled for seven innings), but the second game was a 13-2 blowout, and the Saints only got on the board in the sixth with a dinger by T. Brown. I would have preferred the games going the other way, so we could have left on a more positive note, but the fade-out in the second game matched the weather for the weekend pretty well. Dreary. On top of that, my date for the day stood me up, and I didn’t find out she wasn’t coming until after I’d missed my chance to cook breakfast in the parking lot, and mere minutes before the national anthem. Strangely, that didn’t make me grumpy.

I’ve got a pretty big to-do list again today, which includes spending the afternoon waiting around the house for the guy from Minnegasco to fix my dryer again. It works some of the time, but sometimes the fire just won’t light, and it just spins the clothes around for hours without actually doing any drying. The only way to tell is to pull the panel off the front of the machine and look to see if there’s a blue flame or not, which doesn’t seem quite right. It’s also pretty frustrating, since I’ve had an awful lot of wet clothes around the house after sitting outside in the rain for those ball-games. I don’t suppose that might have anything to with the sore throat not getting better, eh?

Last Month
Copyright 2009, Dave Polaschek. Last updated on Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:57:02.