6. October, 2003 - riot in Mankato
- Violence Erupts After Minnesota State, Mankato Homecoming Saturday night. They lost in the homecoming football game, and had a riot. How original. Here’s the Mankato Dept. of Public Safety Press Release. 45 face charges in riot near MSU from the Press-patch, Riots shake Minnesota State University, Mankato from the Strib, and Riot Erupts Near MSU is the story from the local TV station. The Top Stories - Minnesota State University, Mankato page has more, including a statement from the President of MSU, in which he blames alcohol. As with the riots here last April, the problem isn’t alcohol. The problem is assholes who want to riot. If alcohol is involved, it just makes them drunken assholes.
- The Twins loss yesterday was mostly due to One Bad Inning, but you could just as easily blame their inability to hit the Yankees pitching during the whole series. I might write up something bigger about the Twins before the snow flies, but don’t count on it. I like the team and all, but MLB has lost me as a real fan. Between Asshat-In-Chief Selig jacking things around so he can make more money on his team in Milwaukee and Fox not being able to decide which game they wanted to run in primetime yesterday so Twins fans didn’t know until Saturday night when they needed to get to the Metrodome on Sunday, I’ve found little to like. Yes, the baseball itself is good, but I don’t have fun following a team like I do with the Saints. Hell, the one guy I cheered for most was ex-Saint Kevin Millar, who’s playing for the Red Sox. [press-patch]
- California votin’ takes a look at the electonic voting machines that will be used in Tuesday’s elections in California. Guess what, they’re junk. If they were slot-machines, they wouldn’t be able to be certified. [instapundit]
- Dave Barry asks So what’s their hang-up? See, the American Teleservices Association got miffed when people called them, and shut off their phone. They’ve got a new phone number and Barry made it available. Meanwhile, on the AspenAir front, the Attorney General is useless. AspenAir insists that they have the right to pester people, and the Better Business Bureau wrote a strongly worded letter. But I’m sure they’d appreciate a call at 651-982-2626.
- Microsoft Sued for Weak Security. I wonder why it took so long.
- Lately I’ve been hearing small scrabbling sounds around the apartment. Initially it would just be late and night, and I’d be partway asleep, so I wasn’t sure, but after sitting around watching baseball games yesterday, and hearing noises a couple dozen times during the day, I’m pretty sure I’ve got a House Mouse. Guess I’ll have to make a trip to get some traps later today. I really should know to stock up earlier in the year, since it’s every year about this time that a few of the critters make their way inside to get away from the cold.
Copyright 2009, Dave Polaschek.
Last updated on Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:55:02.